Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What does one do with a wedding dress...



9 years 10 months and 23 days to the exact and only day that I wore that special dress - and what did I do - I cut it off the bodice, dyed the raw silk with really strong coffee, and have grand plans of using the goregous fabric to make some throw pillows for our couches. Much to my mother's dismay, I cut the dress up when I was in Colorado this past March. My mom had so kindly stored it for the almost ten years since Kyle and I got married. She never boxed it. She just always had room in a closet to keep it hanging. I would often looked at it and wonder to myself what I could do with it. Now some may say that I am a traditional type of girl, but there is some non-traditional girl in me too. I could have saved the dress for Molly, but realistically I know that she would not wear it in her wedding. And why keep it in a box so no one could enjoy it. So...why not make pillows. This way everytime I look or use the pillows I can remember that wonderful day when Kyle and I got married and all the memories that have followed. So...mom, I am sorry for doing this, but the fabric really is wonderful now that it is a light coffee color. Oma...get ready to do some sewing for me.

3 comments:

sojourner said...

I love the color! What a great idea to coffee stain the silk! I too will enjoy looking at the pillows and remembering my beautiful daughter in her dress at the altar...even the bow was lovely!

Mom

oma said...

I like the color of the wedding dress fabric. Oma

jason said...

i want a pillow