Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Molly, the beader...

I turned on a movie this morning for the kids while I thought I would shower and get dressed. We checked out a Winnie the Pooh movie from the library, and they love it. Molly actually sits and watches the whole thing. I was done and walking into the family room to check on them and the fire. Molly starts to cry a little, and I ask what it wrong. She points to her nose and I ask if she needs a kleenex to blow her nose. She doesn't say yes, but she does not say no very clearly. She just whines a little. I go and get the kleenex and start to have her blow her nose. That is when I discover it...the bead up her nose. Jack brough home some beads from preschool yesterday. They were playing with them very nicely yesterday. There was no sign of Molly putting them in her nose or mouth. I was not aware that she had them today - I thought I had picked them all up yesterday. Anyway, I ran to get the tweezers because I thought I would try and pull the bead out. After only two rather whimpy attempts to pull it out, I decided the wisest move would be to call the doctor. They said that they could get us in around 3pm today. I wondered to myself is it really alright for the bead to be stuck in her nose all day - through nap and everything. I asked the nurse this and she said that it would be if Molly was breathing alright - which she was. Still she told me hold, and then came back to say they had an earlier appointment. I called Kyle to tell him about the situation, and through talking he offered to help see if he could get it out. We all got ready for the car - shoes, coats, water, toys. Meanwhile, Molly continued to whimper and cry a little. I went to get my coat and looked at Molly to make sure she was okay. POP - out slid the bead enough for me to push on the outside of her nose and make it come out all the way! Yeah - no doctor, no copay, no trauma of feeling like the bad mom who let her 2 year old play with beads. Molly kept saying she was sorry as I told her that she can not put things in her nose. We are all alright now.

2 comments:

sojourner said...

Oh, my...it could have been worse. I wonder why she stuck it up her nose?

Anonymous said...

A while ago, Abel was insisting on sleeping with ear plugs every night. (Ciza breathes loudly). He was obsessed with his ear plugs, and it wasn't good. Then one night, after his plugs had worn down to little nubs, one fell deep into his ear and he DID have to go to the doctor to get it out with a pair of long tweezers. But, he's not asked for ear plugs since! And he's learned to tolerate Ciza's nighttime breathing. I'm glad Molly's bead fell out.