Friday, May 4, 2012

Jack, the amazing helper ...

Sometimes in the past, I have been concerned that we have pushed the kids too hard in helping us with the yard.  When we first moved in there was so much to do that we were always outside doing yard work.  While we are still out there doing it, the intensity has settled a bit.  We would always have the kids out there helping with things that were appropriate to their age.  Now, they did not always LOVE doing it, but we just shrugged it off with a "this is part of being a Parker" mentality.  Fast forward a couple of years .... I can now see the benefit in "requiring" them to be a part of the work.  Jack LOVES helping Kyle do projects around the house.  The other day Kyle got around to cutting the concrete around my magic planter so that we could plant some more perennials.  Once again the previous owners went hog wild with the concrete.  There were several HUGE chunks that had to be removed.  Jack got home from school, immediately put on some work clothes, gathered his gloves, shovel and went out front to help kyle load up the concrete to take to the dump.  He was bound and determined to pick up a piece that was just as big as what Kyle was lifting.  I must say that that kid is strong ... the pieces he was lifting was quite amazing.  (Now, don't worry we would not let him lift something that was too heavy and dangerous to his back! )  Enjoy the pictures I was quick enough to capture ... 





2 comments:

sojourner said...

Fun to see the benefits of teaching! One day he will not be as excited...most likely!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing, Gretchen. Abel is the same way. I have the most amazing helper in Abel. He's obsessed with keeping my kitchen clean, so I never have to lift a finger to do dishes. I count my blessings every day.