Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The chicken made it over....

Our neighbor to the rear of ours got some chickens a while back.  I thought they might be noisy and a little bit of a nuisance, but I have kind of grown to like their little "clucks" during the day as we sit out back!  A little while back I saw the rooster up on our fence.  He did not make it over to our yard, but I thought it was only a little bit of time before he ended up in our backyard.  Well, tonight was the night.  I was serving up dinner for our family ... an enchilada quiche (quite good!) when Jack shouted no way!  He told me that the chicken was in our yard, and of course I questioned him because there was no way he made it over.  I hollered at Kyle to go out there and "throw" him back into his yard.  Kyle does not like chickens ... unless he is eating them ... but he dutifully went out there to try and "throw" him back. Jack and I watched from the window with smiles on our faces.  It was a bit humorous to watch him chase the chicken around the shrubs.  He gave up, because it was time for dinner and it is no fun chasing a chicken.  While we were eating, the rooster went around the grass eating yummies.  Then next thing you know, we hear him making quite a bit of noise.  He had "flown" into the red rhodie in the back and was a bit out of sort about being stuck in the rhodie.  Kyle went out there, got his hands on him, and "tossed" him back over.  I think he will come back and we will have to talk with the neighbor about keeping them out of our yard, but Kyle said that he did not like him handling him and he might not come back.  We will see ....

3 comments:

granma said...

I can picture that! Kyle used to chase chickens that would come over the fence at mom's because he didn't like them then! Now he has come full circle...they have come back to haunt him..lol

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, this made me laugh. You would hate being our neighbor! Our chickens sometimes fly all over the neighborhood and our rabbits find their way up and down our street. I think it's hilarious. We have neighbors stop by all the time and say, Hey, just want you to know, you're chickens are in so and so's yard. But Abel either tracks them down or they fly home when they they get tired of roaming. Chicken poop is great for the garden, so (coming from a chicken lover)I say you should just let that rooster roam around and fertalize your yard whenever he wants! He'll also eat all the unwanted bugs. xo

sojourner said...

Love Amy's comment....enjoy them! Wish we had been there to see the ruckus!