Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Checking my email..."

Yesterday and today the kids have been playing with a computer that their Granma gave Jack last year. Yesterday, Jack said that he was on the internet checking out "pbskids.org" because they have "online resources" for parents. He wanted to make sure that I knew about it. I smiled and laughed and told him he was too cute and too much. It is funny and scary how much kids can pick up from the things they hear on tv repeated over and over. Jack has no idea what he is talking about, but has heard it so much from watching Clifford on PBS that he now repeats it to us. Today, Molly was playing with the computer while Jack was at school and she stated..."me checking my email." Once again, she has no idea what she is saying, but has the right tools and does the right motions to look as though she knows what she is doing. Kyle and I just laugh at the different realm of technology our kids are growing up around. I am sure that our parents felt the same way, but somedays it is really amazing. We also laughed because we are not the most technological family around. I do get on the computer to check email and such, but do not live on it and usually do it when they are napping so I am more amazed that they have picked up on it from the little they see of it.

3 comments:

sojourner said...

I am feeling soooo much anti-technology right now, because it is the ONLY way you can apply at the two school districts surrounding me! So very impersonal....yet, I feel like a blog stalker (to use someone else's term) at times. Yes, your two will be more linked to technology than even you! Isn't it sad but true? Am I being cynical?

Laura Young said...

that is so funny! i love the "online resources" for parents part. Porter tells us all the time what shows are coming on - like "mom did you know that Disney is having movie time Monday next week at 9:30, 10:30 central?"

pops said...

Kyle & Gretchen - All I can say is brush up on internet filters so when they actually are old enough to use the it you will be well educated. It is such a two edged sword - the internet.