Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Our first lost tooth...

Jack woke up from his nap on Monday, and I noticed that the space between two of his teeth was different. I asked him if his tooth was loose, and yes, it was! He was totally consumed with the loose tooth, and what was going to happen in the process of it falling out. I told him to pull it out, but he was not up for that challenge. Well the next day as we were driving on an errand, I hear Jack say..."I lost my tooth!" Now, I was expecting it to be loose for at least a week or more and have us talk about how we could get it to come out, but we didn't get the chance to have so many of our conversations be consumed with teeth talk. Instead, we got one day. He put it under his pillow last night, and the tooth fairy came. So while our kids might not believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy is alive and kicking in our house!

As a side note, I was so excited that he lost his tooth for two reasons. One...it is yet another example that my six year old is continuing to grow up fast. There is something about your child being of the age that he is losing something that he was not born with - another era for Jack! Second...I had a hard time losing my baby teeth. At one year old, I had half a tooth. It only continued that my roots did not want to let go of the teeth, but the adult teeth were ready to make their appearance. So, I had to have 8 baby teeth pulled (along with 4 adult teeth). I do not remember losing teeth, but my memory is going to the oral surgeon and having the sharpest needle known to man spiked into my upper pallet and having the teeth pulled - so while there was no pain I did hear the squeaking of the surgeon twisting out the teeth. But I digress back to the point...I did not want Jack to have to go through that process (selfishly, I didn't want to have to pay for it). I wanted him to have it the "normal" way!

3 comments:

littledixie said...

Way to go, Jack!!!!! You are so tough!

sojourner said...

I cannot believe you pulled the tooth yourself, Jack! Very brave! You look so grown up in this picture. Oh, where, oh where, is our baby Jack?

jason said...

Yeah Jack!!!