Saturday, April 5, 2008

Like mother, like daughter...

...so tonight we were getting in the car to come home. Kyle was putting Molly in her car seat, and I was helping Jack get into the car on his side. He is in a booster seat now, and requires little help. I just opened the door and then closed it. He can do the rest. In fact, most of the time he climbs in on Molly's side and walks across. Well, I have always been aware that I need to be careful closing the door because you never know when there might be some little fingers where they do not belong. Yet, nothing has happened to those little fingers. That is until tonight...as I closed the door Jack's fingers were still in the door jam. I closed the door on my son's fingers! After I closed the door, I walked around the car to get into my seat. I thought I heard some crying as I rounded the corner but was unsure. I then heard Kyle saying something to Jack, and then telling me to go back that his hand was in the door. Needless to say there was not blood or cutting of skin, no broken bones...only a few tears. In fact, he did not cry nearly as much as I thought he would. He just kept saying that it really hurt in a way that sounded as though I did not believe him it hurt. Of course, I apologized to him and he said he knew it was an accident...but I still felt guilty.
Now, why do I say like mother, like daughter....because my own mother shut my hand in the car door as well when I was little. I think I was older than Jack. We were getting some gas in the car. She did not see my hand, of course, and shut the door. I don't remember much else except the hugs and kisses and comforting words that she gave me after she realized what had happened.

4 comments:

jason said...

I still have pretty vivid memories of that event if you want a description of the gore.

ouch.

sojourner said...

I don't remember it at all....really, it happened? Jason, do you really remember? Poor Jack, especially if you walked to your door and then had to go back. Is it black and blue? Thank goodness for the soft bones of little ones!

Mom

Sarah said...

Gretchen, my mom slammed the back hatch of our car on my fingers when I was about 3 or 4 (nothing broke on me either) - don't feel too bad!

Laura Young said...

poor guy! i've been thinking about yall. miss you!