Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Spring in Oregon...

It may look a little "leggy," but this is my favorite right now. It is a deciduous azalea. I LOVE the orange blooms -- I have always been a sucker for orange.

The couple we bought the house from LOVED rhodies. This is just one of about 10 we have on the property.

This rhodie is out front, and was the first to bloom. I love the variegation of color. It used to be down to the ground, but Kyle trimmed it up to be more of a tree and to our surprise we found a great rock under it to show off.

We have two of these azaleas outside of the front door. They also are part deciduous, so the leaves are just now coming back. The blooms are an amazing purple color that make me smile. It is some color to look at.
I have come to really cherish the Spring in Oregon. We have been here for two Springs now, and they are great. They are really long with the blooms on plants lasting forever, and the budding of trees happening so magically as you look outside every day. One sign that it is Spring is that there are more days with some great sunshine. We still get plenty of rain, but the rain is different. It is more of a drizzle than raindrops, and it may only last a couple of minutes and then it is gone and the sun is brilliantly shining on you -- of course, the rain may come back again in an hour or so. So go days right now. We have a remarkably cool Spring. Today was only 50 degrees, but I have enjoyed it. Of all the states I have lived in over the short course of my life, Oregon, hands down, has the best Spring -- and I realize I LOVE Spring. I think in part because one can marvel at all God did when he planned the world. It is also fun to watch the kids discover the signs of Spring. I have included some pictures of our "blooming" garden. We have really enjoyed and watched in awe as these flowers have come around. The pictures do not due the real beauty justice, but thought you might enjoy the color and beauty. Enjoy...

5 comments:

sojourner said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Fun to see the blooms since everything was loaded with buds when I was there! What great color! You are right...spring in Oregon is much better than Texas or Colorado. We are just now getting color. All the crab apples are blooming and they are everywhere...much like your rhodies!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed you know the names of all the flowers! I identify plants by color and shape--the purple ones or pink ones or the spiky plants or ones with flat leaves, etc. Santa Barbara is always the same color year round, so I don't think I notice the colors that much. Yours' are beautiful

Laura Young said...

so pretty! i've never seen an azalea down here that was orange like that.... i want one! ps thanks for your sweet note. you've always been good with mail!

Sarah said...

LOVE these!! I love your rhodies!! We had a ton of them when we lived in WA and really liked them - although I don't think my mom liked them so much when the sticky parts stuck to our feet and would get in the house...haha. But they are so pretty, so it's worth it!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I thought you hated the color orange! And second, I'm sad we missed your blooms!