Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lilacs...



I like lilac trees, but have never thought of them much otherwise.

However now that I have a couple of them in my backyard, every spring they elicit a memory for me that I love.

My Oma LOVED lilacs. She and my Opa had a couple trees in their backyard. I remember every spring when they were blooming she would go out back every day and "pick" new blossoms for the house. She would always have me smell them. I thought she was a bit odd to go out there everyday - of course, this was before my being a homeowner.

Today, I "pick" some for my house to bring some spring smell inside. Now that Oma is gone, it is one of those "sweet" memories that I will always carry with me each spring.

2 comments:

granma said...

Lilacs have always been one of my favorite flowers. Those are beautiful. When Kyle was younger, he would buy me lilac bushes for the yard so that everytime I would look at them I would have something to remember him by when he was old,,,his words. I so miss not living there where they are but drive by once in a while to see them and the crab apple tree he got me for Mother's day one year,,,yes lilacs definitely bring back memories!

sojourner said...

These are gorgeous and most likely smell incredible!