Monday, April 5, 2010

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

The other day I had had it. There is something about the word "yeah" in response to questions that irks me. I have been noticing that all four of the Parkers had been using it alot, so I thought to myself how can we combat its use in our talking. Well...pushups! Yes, pushups. I told Jack and Molly that every time they used the word "yeah" they would have to do FIVE pushups! What a mean mom and dad!! They looked at us in amazement, and a little bit perplexed. Then I realized they did not really know what a pushup was, so Kyle proceeded to have them get down on the floor and attempt to show/explain a pushup. Many minutes and much laughter went by, and we decided that a situp would be better suited to our six and four year olds gross motor skills!!

So it was settled, and everyone - including Kyle and me - knew the consequences of using THE WORD!! Three days have passed, and what sounded like a good idea has not accomplished my goal. THE WORD is still used quite a lot, and there is way too much joy in doing the situps. I thought the kids would hate to do the situps, but instead they see it as a way of doing exercises - which is a good thing that I am not discouraging! Molly has more than once done situps with Jack even though she has not been caught using THE WORD!! By the way, we discovered that five situps for Molly was a lot and a little unfair to think that she needed to do the same as her brother two years older, so we changed hers to only three situps each time she uses THE WORD.

Today while we were out on some errands, I think the count for situps was 18 for Molly, 25 for Jack, 35 for Kyle, and I had to do 20!! I guess the only good thing about my idea is that we are going to have a family with really strong abs. Kyle and I are rethinking what might work better to get rid of us using THE WORD. If we find something that works better later, I will let you all know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, I have a jar for change, and when the boys utter the "word" they have to put a quarter in the jar. They hate losing money so the words disappear quickly!

sojourner said...

I like Amy's idea...only jack and molly may not have the financial resources built up! They can work on it by earning some, huh!

granma said...

It is hard not to say a word that is used and heard so often, it could be worse you know...LOL

L said...

Ha ha ha. I love picturing the Parkers doing situps.

L said...

And I should say, I love picturing you all doing them as a "punishment" for saying yeah, and sort've in sequence as each person gets caught. It's funny. Picturing you doing situps as, like, exercise, isn't funny. :) Ok. Glad I cleared that up.