Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Oma...

My Oma passed away this past Christmas Eve. I have been thinking of her often since she passed away, and have meant to blog about her several times. I have many entries in my head, but this is the first that has made it to the actual blog. You will have to bear with me, because I am sure that this will turn into a ramble!

One thing I have been thinking about is the memories that one has with a person - especially a grandparent. I have many wonderful memories of my Oma. My mom put together a book right before she passed away that had memories from family members with Oma being at the center. It was hard to narrow to just one memory. Now, those memories are that much sweeter because there will not be any new memories with her. It is such an interesting emotion that comes over you. Everytime I look at the sweater Molly still wears that Oma made, it makes me smile and remember my love for her. Before, it was just a great thing to have a sweater made by my grandmother. This is the first really close loss that I have experienced, so the feelings are all new to me. I am thankful for the memories that I have, and will cherish them always.

Another thing I have been thinking a lot about is how much I miss her voice. I, of course, miss her but we have lived apart for the last couple of years so not to see her often is nothing new. However, we did talk regularly. I miss her answering the phone with her own way of saying "hello" followed by a "hi, honey" that only she can say in her way. No one can replace that!

The picture above is the last picture I have with us together. It was the last visit I had with her. She had just been diagnosed with cancer while I was there. I will cherish this picture. (Besides, I think it is a pretty good one!)

I rest assured that she is up in heaven with Jesus loving being with her Savior. One day, I will get to see her again and hear those words..."hi, honey!"

1 comment:

sojourner said...

I, too, miss the way Joan answered with her own, "hello". Only, my was not followed by "hi, honey". Now I talk to Fred each afternoon and am getting to know him in a way I did not when Joan was around. This,too, will be a special memory some day.

All is well with her soul!