Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first dahlia...




This is our planter that is out front.  Last year it was not very successful, but while my mom was here last summer we moved a bunch of random bulbs that we had in the backyard to this planter.  They were not very pretty in the back, but I realized this year it was most likely because of a lack of water and bad soil.  They have thrived this year, and make me so happy.  The red asiatic lilies are just about done.  The calla lilies are great, and to my surprise the second to last picture is a calla lily.  I did not know what these bulbs were because they never bloomed in the back.  I am thrilled my dahlias came back, and they look much better this year.  I love the red, and am looking forward to enjoying them in the coming months.

2 comments:

sojourner said...

beautiful, beautiful...so happy it worked after all our hard efforts last summer...

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, I'm so jealous of all your beautiful flowers. We don't get anything like this in Santa Barbara. We have such an arid, mediterranean climate.